Natalie Gordon felt a brief moment of relief when she found out on Thursday morning that two arrests had been made in relation to her brother Dr Ashley Gordon’s death.
“We thought we’d be going through this a lot longer,” she said.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Sister of Melbourne stabbing victim breaks silence.
Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
“Then I felt anger (and) a whole new wave of sadness.”
Ashley was found allegedly stabbed to death less than a kilometre from his home in Doncaster, in Melbourne’s northeast, on Saturday night.
Homicide detectives believe the 33-year-old was the victim of an aggravated burglary.
Major update after Melbourne doctor found dead a kilometre from home
Terrifying moment man in clown mask robs store at gunpoint
Ashley was involved in a deadly confrontation with the alleged intruders, who police say stole items from his home and attempted to flee.
Their family “will hurt forever”, his sister Natalie said.
“Ash’s patients, colleagues … Ash’s friends, will all hurt. He was an amazing person, with the best smile, the biggest heart. Our family will never, ever repair itself.”
Ashley was found allegedly stabbed to death less than a kilometre from his home in Doncaster, in Melbourne’s northeast, on Saturday night. Credit: 7NEWS
Watching her parents fall apart is the hardest part, Natalie said.
“That’s the hardest part for me,” she said.
“We all held him on the biggest pedestal, and it’s gone. It’s just gone.”
Ashley’s funeral will be held next Thursday and the family is focussed on sending him off “with a bang” like he would want, Natalie said.
“I can’t begin to explain how hard it is now to go through photos … to go through photos and try to pick photos to show everyone how amazing he was.”
Ashley Gordon’s sister Natalie Gordon says his family will ‘hurt forever’ over his death. Credit: 7NEWS
Natalie, who has three daughters herself, said no family should ever have to go through the heartache she is experiencing.
“I would never want any other family to have to go through what we’re going through,” she said.
Two boys, both aged 16, one from Dandenong and the other from Travancore, have been charged with murder, aggravated burglary and theft.
The prosecution has asked for 12 weeks to prepare a brief of evidence, and the boys will next appear at a children’s court on February 8.