NSW authorities have launched a state-wide manhunt for a convicted criminal mistakenly freed from custody last week.
Randolph Convery, 49, reportedly even told court officers he was not due to be released for another five months, but they proceeded anyway.
Convery was serving a minimum 12-month sentence for assault occasioning bodily harm and weapons offences when he appeared in Newcastle Local Court last week on a separate matter.
Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
He should not have been released until January 30, 2024, at the earliest, but Corrective Services officers let him go free about 3pm on Wednesday, August 16.
It is understood a paperwork error was to blame for the bungle.
Off-duty cop’s brave act after hearing blood-curdling scream
Charges laid almost two months after girl ‘run down’ outside school
The Department of Communities and Justice said it issued a warrant as soon as the court became aware of the error.
Convery has not committed a crime by being released, with NSW Police saying he “is wanted by virtue of outstanding arrest warrants” and appealing for the public’s help to track him down.
Police did not address the blunder in their statement.
Convery was last seen out the front of the court on Hunter St, Newcastle wearing prison greens.
Randolph Convery was mistakenly released from custody. Credit: 7NEWS / NSW Police Force
He is described as 175 cm tall with a large build and brown hair and brown eyes.
The wanted man may be driving a 1999 white Toyota sedan with the NSW registration AHJ70U.
Anyone with information should contact police.
– With reporting from Taylor Aiken
Chilling detail in CCTV hours before woman found dead
Hanson responds after Latham and second MP quit One Nation
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.