A Sydney man charged over the execution-style shooting murder of Melbourne gangland figure Gavin “Capable” Preston has been remanded in custody.
Jaeden Tito, 22, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday evening after he was extradited from NSW earlier in the day.
Tito, still dressed in the red shorts he was arrested in on Wednesday, remained mostly quiet throughout his brief court appearance.
Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
He only confirmed to Magistrate Julie Grainger that it was his first time in custody and he was withdrawing from cocaine and marijuana.
Preston, 50, was killed and another 26-year-old South Morang man he was dining with was critically injured after shots were fired outside Sweet Lulus cafe in Keilor Village on September 9.
Jaeden Tito appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court after being extradited from NSW. Credit: AAP
Security camera footage from the incident showed a hooded gunman dressed in black running from the passenger side door of a black SUV and firing several shots from a handgun at Preston, who fell to the ground.
He died at the scene, while the other man underwent emergency surgery on gunshot wounds to his stomach.
Tito was arrested at his Bradbury home in Sydney’s southwest on Wednesday morning and detectives then charged him with Preston’s murder.
Gavin Preston. Credit: 7NEWSPreston, 50, was killed when shots were fired outside Sweet Lulus cafe in Keilor Village on September 9. Credit: AAP
He was extradited to Melbourne on Thursday afternoon.
Police were seeking a longer time frame to compile the brief of evidence against Tito, with the prosecutor telling Grainger there were 114 hours of CCTV footage to assess.
Detectives were also awaiting the results of forensic testing, he said.
Tito’s lawyer Talal Krayem opposed the 14-week timeline, saying it was not fair to his client in custody.
But Grainger said the usual maximum period for service of the hand-up brief was 12 weeks, so an additional fortnight was not unreasonable.
Police will need to serve the brief of evidence to the defence by February 1.
Tito was remanded in custody to appear before Melbourne Magistrates Court on March 14 next year.
Melbourne man shot while ‘checking disturbance’ outside home
Three injured as ambulance and car crash in Melbourne
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.